Tuesday, January 3, 2023

How I Started Out My Programming Journey

I just wanted to share my short story about how I actually started being a programmer. 

I've been doing programming for at least 6 years now. When I was in high school, I had no friends and family members that know these stuff, so it was pretty hard for me to learn, plus being a slow-paced learner. Luckily, internet exists with a lot of information that you can acquire from, such as video tutorials, forums, and online documentations. 

Game programming was actually the first reason why I keep insisting myself to learn more. Back when we were kids, we discovered this game called CS2D. It is one of the games that kind of like sparked me the idea of 'why not create a game instead of playing them?'. So it started out like watching a lot of tutorials, despite having no idea what I'm learning about. I followed the tutorials until the end before understanding them which worked out pretty well. My first programming language was Blitz BASIC. As you can see, it is not popular and well known but it was actually the language used to create CS2D. At that time, I'm not yet enlightened to the basic fundamentals of programming. It was just fun and enjoyable for me because I realized that I can create games.

Fast-forwad in time, I now consider myself as an amateur type programmer that knows how to make things work based on the skills I have already developed. I'm proud and grateful that I have come this far, but that does not mean that I will stop from learning new things.